Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Ecstasy of Influence

Zach Hubert-Allen

I think he is saying that if there are sources from the past that would normally never come tonight, then use can be described as encoding. The Muddy Waters story is interesting. How he comes up with so many different explanations to the songs origin is a bit scattering. It makes it difficult to depict who should get credit. Also, at the time Blues and Jazz artists often reworked already established pieces. Copyright infringements weren’t really a thing at the time, causing basically anybody to rip someone else’s work and make it their own.

                As far is a failed attempt at combining subtle ideas from a source with yours is concerned, I think the thought and basis of the source is always there, making it relevant. However this being said, if the source has nothing to do with the context then one is violating another person’s work being trying to make this false comparison. This ties into the gift economy. When I think of this gift economy I think of knowledgably giving and receiving credit for an idea. This is a very important facet to sharing intellectual ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment