Monday, February 17, 2014

The Hurt Locker

                The Hurt Locker is a great movie to compare to the general theme of this class in war. One of the most eye catching things is how the soldiers treat the Iraqi people. It is assumed that everyone is a threat and while watching this movie you believe this to be true. I'm fairly certain this was the directors intention. Every time James is walking towards a bomb there is an eerie vibe in the air. You can just sense the build up.
             
               However, I think the real question here is if this stereotype is justified. Clearly not everyone from Iraq is evil and out to kill US citizens. Even so, everyone in this film was viewed as an enemy in my opinion. This stigma is set from the get go when Eldridge fails to save Matt's life by not pulling the trigger. I almost feel that viewers get a "better to be safe than sorry" type of sense from this scene. This leads viewers to resent the natives for the rest of the movie, even if innocent.
           

No comments:

Post a Comment